|Educational / School Group Tours
Educational tours are available to all Volusia County Public School groups free of charge throughout the academic school year. General group rates apply to all non-Volusia County and private school groups. Infants (NB - 2) are admitted free of charge. Current tour rates are:
Group Type # in Group Admission Cost Volusia County Public School Groups TBD Free
Private Volusia County School Group TBD Free
Non-Volusia Public & Private School Group 20+ Adults-$6, Child-$1.65
All Youth Groups 20+ Adults-$6, Child-$1.65
All Other Groups 20+ Adults-$6, Child-$1.65
Educational tours are provided to school groups grades 2 through 12. Educational tours are usually 1.5 to 2 hours in length and include:
Teachers wishing to expand their tour may choose any of the additional tour activities listed below, time and volunteer docent availability permitting.
- A climb to the top of Florida's tallest lighthouse
- A visit to the world renowned Ayers Davies Lens Exhibit Building
- A tour of the Ponce De Leon Inlet Light Station and museum including the keepers' dwellings, oil storage house, boat yard, and Nature Trail, time permitting
- Archaeology Table - 45 min session
- Archaeology Dig - 2.5 hour session
- Artifact Table - 30 min session
- Science of Light - 30 min session
Although guided tours are limited by volunteer docent availability, the Preservation Association will make every effort to provide guided tours of the Light Station on the day of your visit. Self-guided tour maps are available in the event that a volunteer docent is unavailable on the date of your visit.
Scheduling an Educational Group Tour:
The Ponce De Leon Inlet Lighthouse Preservation Association encourages all group coordinators to schedule their Light Station visit as far in advance as possible. Early notification significantly increases the Association's ability to arrange volunteer docents for your group. This is especially important during the summer and holiday months when volunteer docent availability is limited. Please refer to the following guidelines when scheduling your tour.
- Groups wishing to participate in a guided tour of the Light Station should book their visit at least three weeks in advance. Non-guided tours should be scheduled one week in advance.
- Tours may be scheduled by filling out the Tour Reservation Form. Completed forms may be faxed to (386)761-3121 or transmitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to download the Tour Reservation Form.
- Please call (386) 761-1821 ext. 18, or via email to email@example.com for more information on how to schedule an Educational Group Tour.
Group Tour Rules and Regulations:
Open to the public year-round, the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse asks that some accommodations be made for the benefit of both students and the general public. Students must be accompanied by an adult at all times and like all lighthouse visitors, may not bring backpacks, food, or drinks onto the historic grounds. While we encourage students to enjoy themselves, horseplay is discouraged and general good manners and courtesy are expected at all times. A complete list of the Lighthouse's rules and regulations to review with your students may be downloaded below.
Student Souvenir Packages:
Many students like to purchase souvenirs during their field trip to remember their visit. Unfortunately, time and financial concerns are almost always a factor for groups visiting the Lighthouse. In an effort to save students and teachers both time and money, the Preservation Association has put together a Student Souvenir Package that includes several items appropriate for children at a fraction of the regular cost. Student Souvenir Packages must be ordered in advance to allow Gift Shop personnel time to have them ready on the day of your scheduled visit. Please select the Student Souvenir Program link below for a printable order form and additional information.
Your Feedback is Important to Us:
The Ponce De Leon Inlet Lighthouse Preservation Association endeavors to provide its educational guests with the best programming possible. In pursuance with this goal, we ask that all teachers participating in one of our on-site tours complete a tour evaluation form to help us better understand how we are doing. Your feedback, comments, and suggestions are not only welcome, but encouraged. Thank you for your help.