History Visit Us Support Us Tours News & Events Teachers Kids
1835 Lighthouse     Keepers     Stephen Crane     Timeline     Design     NHL Study
Printer Friendly Version Email this Information

Keeper William Rowlinski

Principal Keeper of Mosquito Inlet Light Station October 21, 1887 - November 30, 1893
Born: 1833, Died 1914

William Rowlinski, born in Russia in 1833, emigrated to the United States at age 17. Settling in Charleston, South Carolina, he married Mary Jane Rebecca Hilton in 1857. In the Civil War, Rowlinski fought with Confederate forces while his wife taught school. In 1870, the Rowlinskis moved to Salters, South Carolina where they raised a family of six children. On December 11, 1883, Rowlinski joined the Lighthouse Establishment and was appointed Second Assistant Keeper at the St. Augustine, Florida Light Station.

In 1884, he transferred to the Cape Romain, South Carolina Light Station. In April, 1887, he became first assistant keeper at Cape Romain, and on October 21st, he was appointed "Acting Keeper" for the brand new lighthouse at Mosquito Inlet. On the last day of year, William Rowlinski received permanent appointment as Principal Keeper of the Mosquito Inlet Light Station at an annual salary of $720 per year.

The Rowlinskis had a good life at Mosquito Inlet, but Rowlinski found it difficult to get along with his assistant keepers, and in 1893, he was transferred to the Georgetown, South Carolina Light Station. In 1902, Rowlinski resigned and moved to a house at Mosquito Inlet near his old lighthouse. He lived there until his death on May 29, 1914. He, and many of his family are buried in the Edgewater Cemetery in New Smyrna Beach, Florida.
Printer Friendly Version Email this Information

(386) 761-1821

Home     |     Visit Us     |     Support Us     |     Tours     |     News & Events     |     Teachers     |     Kids




Ponce de Leon Inlet Lighthouse Preservation Association
4931 South Peninsula Drive - Ponce Inlet, FL 32127
(386) 761-1821
Open Daily to the Public at 10:00 a.m.
Last admission one hour before closing

Florida Lighthouses Blog