History Visit Us Support Us Tours News & Events Teachers Kids
Printer Friendly Version Email this Information

Pump House

In 1906 an artesian well was dug ten yards south of the lighthouse tower. An 8' windmill and a 600 gallon cypress-wood tank were installed to provide water for the keepers' dwellings. The windmill, which never worked properly, was torn down in 1914.

In 1917, the current structure was built over the windmill site to house a gasoline-fueled generator and an electric water pump was installed. The water tower remained until after World War II.
 
Today the water tank gone but the well is still used to supply water for the Light Station's lawn and landscaping. If you look closely at the interior floor, signs of the former water tower and original generators can still be identified by the rusted bolts that are set in the concrete floor.
 
Printer Friendly Version Email this Information

(386) 761-1821

Home     |     Visit Us     |     Support Us     |     Tours     |     News & Events     |     Teachers     |     Kids




Ponce de Leon Inlet Lighthouse Preservation Association
4931 South Peninsula Drive - Ponce Inlet, FL 32127
(386) 761-1821
Open Daily to the Public at 10:00 a.m.
Last admission one hour before closing

Florida Lighthouses Blog